Wednesday, November 17, 2010

As I Go

I've done quite some research for this post, and still I'm not sure what exactly I should put on here.
You see, the problem is that this flower im going to write about has quite a few symbolic meanings, each one has its own unique context.

I guess I'll just give you all the meanings I could find, in a nutshell, I don't want this be become one of those boring posts that you stop reading halfway through.


This is one of the sleeves you got to see a sneak peek of last week.

It's a barong mask with flowers in the background, Morning Glory flowers, to be more specific.

The Morning Glory, also Asagao in Japanese, stand for willful promises, bravery, present time, and even in traditional Chinese folklore it stands for one particular day in the year when the two lovers, Chien Niu and Chih Neu, are allowed to meet.

According to Chinese lore, Chien Niu was a boy who was entrusted to take care of water buffalo in the heavenly kingdom. A girl named Chih Neu was put in charge of seamstress duties. They fell in love, and the romance caused them to neglect their duties. In anger, God forced the young lovers to be separated on both sides of the Silver River and allowed then to meet only once during the whole year.

In the case of it representing present time, has also probably more to do with where the flower derived its name from.
It is called Morning Glory because it blooms in the morning and dies in the afternoon. Wich is a very timely existence. Therefor reminding us to life for the moment.

I'll try to write more about the barong mask the next time this sleeve passes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment