The goldfish is a freshwater fish in the family Cyprinidae. It was one of the earliest fish to be domesticated, and is one of the most commonly kept aquarium fish.
Unlike folklore has it, goldfish do not have a memory-span of only two seconds but have a memory-span of at least three months and can distinguish between different shapes, colors and sounds. They also tend to be great subjects for tattoos.
Other interesting facts about goldfish:
- Unlike their color would suggest, goldfish do not taste like carrots.
- Unlike their name suggest, they are not made of real gold.
- It's a well-known fact that goldfish do not pay for sex.
- If goldfish would happen to have legs instead of fins and lungs instead of gills, they probably would not have been refered to as fish.
- It is thought that goldfish have no concept of time, since there are no known records of goldfish wearing watches.