Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Struggles of Professional Black Tattoo Artists "The FILM"

Yall know I'm working a film project...its been an idea of mine for years now..but I wanted to partner up with a person with vision...I hooked up with film maker, Artemus Jenkins..we call him "AJ"...I met Artemus when he interviewed me for Vimby.com, and after I saw it I KNEW this brother had an eye for detail...these photos are stills from the film we are working on based on the pain, struggles, and lifestyles of black tattoo artists all across America...we were up in DC, and it was really emotional...I interviewed tattoo artists and asked them about their fears, personal relationships, and their family lives...I want the people to UNDERSTAND when you don't support "Professional" trained tattoo artists and go to the non-trained tattooist (scratchers) based off their cheap prices, you are doing more than hurting yourself but you slapping the artist who really deserves that business in the face..our mission with this film is to destory what the black community THINK is "tattooing" and rebuild this side of the industry by giving praises to the black artists who DID pay their dues to because "Tattoo Artists" I know Scratchers will HATE me after this film but I don't give a fuck, I don't believe in excuses..if you want to become a tattoo artist follow the same step these other black artists did.do your 2-3 year training and make a name for yourself outside the hood..many artist did it and so can YOU...after this film a lot of scracthers will no longer be getting business from people who didn't know any better...its time to break all stereotypes of tattooing in the black community...its time to LEARN the history of the black tattoo scene and give props to the artists who opened the doors for us all...I hope to also get the help and vision of tattoo artist, Corey Davis...he is now directing music videos, and creating his own film projects...I have yet to title this film...but when its released, this will change A LOT of things in tattooing.









Photos by Artemus Jenkins (stills from the film) sneak preview

No comments:

Post a Comment