Saturday, November 21, 2009

Latest Interview with READCONVENTION.COM




Interview from ReadConvention.com

How do you describe your Art to people?

I describe my art is "pure" a reflection of how I see the world we live in..Love, Pain, struggle, beauty, passion, lust,dreams, and teaching

How is a human canvas different from another medium?

The Human canvas feels pain, and moves so I try by best not to cause extra pain. It takes years to master human skin, painting and drawing is wayyyyy earlier.

Who are some people you would like to work with?

I would LOVE to work with Mike Giant, he is my favorite artist and one of my heros.

How is the Internet changing your craft?

The Internet has opened my world to the masses. I'm a very open person, I have nothing to hide. I'm human and I make mistakes..I want to show the world it's ok to have flaws and its ok not to be perfect. You live and learn. On the business end, the Internet keeps me booked up..using that net as a tool for marketing draws people from all over the world to City of Ink. From Paris to London its a real blessings.

Do you feel like what you are doing is important?

I feel what I do is important to the people who care about this lifestyle and culture. I don't think the masses really understand my movement just yet. I feel art is one of the tools that can be used to help in world peace. I feel every school should focus more on the arts instead of all the focus on sports. The mind should be used more than the body. Put art and music back in ALL schools, or the youth will be doomed...just my opinion.

When you started out did you think it would be a serious business?

I always had a vision from day one, I always dreamed of being rich off art money and not street money. I seen my friends come and go, but I stayed focus on the foundation of my beliefs. I have always used art to make a living. I was raised by hustlers, so I use that same mindstate and hustled my art, on t-shirts, paintings, drawings, whatever it took so I didn't have to ask my parents for anything unless I really needed too. My mother raised strong men, so I always wanted to make her proud of me.

Must art have a relationship to the rest of the world?

No I feel art should have a relationship with the artist, and if the world gets it that's even better. But when an artist focus on pleasing the world, it would that SOUL and emotion..art is suppose to be raw, and might even piss a few people off, that's real art to me...art attracts others who feel you, it attracts other kindred spirit into your world.

Lastly, could you talk about any long-term goals you have in mind?

I have to tattoo at less another year or 2, publish books of my art and other artists work, and end my days creating movies, and painting...and of course teaching for students the art of tattooing...so I can open more City of Ink all over the world. Right now I'm working on a film project about the struggles of black tattoo artists in America, and I have a book coming out called "Before I'm Gone: the Art & Life of Miya Bailey"





www.twitter.com/miyabailey
www.miyabailey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment